Georgetown Edges Wildcats 1-0 with Last Minute Goal

09 Dec 2021 | 11:00 | Cross Country

Washington, D.C.- The BIG EAST Tournament semifinal game was scoreless for 89 minutes until Georgetown’s Joe Buck was able to deflect a shot sent in by his teammate Chris Hegardt to score the game winner with 38 seconds remaining in regulation.

Carson Williams started off the game with a huge save on a close shot in the third minute, the Wildcats defense had a strong showing throughout the game. The Hoyas controlled the ball offensively taking seven shots and placing a pair on goal in the opening half.

“We knew we were going to sustain a lot of attack from Georgetown,” said head coach Tom Carlin. “Part of it was just trying to slow them down with some of our possessions and be able to chase us a little bit. I thought we did that in the first half.”

Villanova’s offense had their two strongest scoring chances early in the second half. Lyam MacKinnon took the Wildcat’s first shot from the top of the box in the 58th minute that was blocked. Then four minutes later it was the junior again this time he sent a pass from the end line up into the middle of the box. There it found an open Gray Ricca who was on the move. Ricca was able to get a strong shot off, but it sailed high left.

“In the first 20 minutes of the second half our possessions were good, we spaced it out well,” continued Carlin. “Lyam, Balthi (Saunders), and Jorge (Garcia) were really able to connect and get us going and that is where the chances started. That is what we talked about at halftime so once they got going, we were able to attack so that was good. ”

In the 67th minute the Hoya’s were awarded a free kick that was taken by Marlon Tabora that was right on goal but was saved by Williams. The senior keeper for Villanova finished the day with four saves, a pair in both halves.

“In the final 20 minutes of the second half I think the atmosphere got to us a little bit, we lost our composer, and weren’t able to carry the game plan out as much. We defended well and at least thought we could get to overtime and make it a game where one moment was going to end it.”

In those final 20 minutes Georgetown was able to get off five shots and Villanova was issued seven yellow cards.

The game winner netted by Buck started when Hegardt tried to get a shot off that was blocked and deflected back to him. Hegardt got a second shot off that went off the foot of Buck and deflected into the top left of the goal to make 1-0 Georgetown.

Villanova will now have to wait until Monday afternoon to know what the future of their season holds. The NCAA Selection Show will be streamed at 1:00 P.M. on

Get Informed

Quickly coordinate e-business applications through revolutionary catalysts for change. Seamlessly underwhelm optimal testing procedures processes.